Sign in to follow this  
ChrisNorthcutt

Few questions about Pro Builder

I've noticed there's a few other tools a long with pro builder that I may want to get. If i buy just pro builder, I'm still going to be missing some vital level editing tools. Is that correct? What exactly do the other tools do?

Also. I'm in the Seattle area. Is there a high demand for jobs in this area for Unity? Would any gaming or 3D companies be interested in someone who specialized in Level editing?

And last question. Can you export the levels/meshes you make with Pro Builder into, lets say, an fbx file? Or any other file that will allow you to open it up in another program or game engine? I'm hoping we can bring our ProBuilder meshes into Maya, 3dsmax, UDK, etc.

Hey ChrisNorthcutt,

Sorry about the slow response time. Gabriel asked me to help out with the forums but my computer has been down for the past several days due to an overheating cpu problem. To answer your questions:

ProGrids is the only other "vital" tool for production alongside ProBuilder but I believe the free version of ProGrids shouldn't have any issues with ProBuilder. It should work fine in the meantime (although I definitely suggest having the paid version! :))

As far as the Seattle area, I'm not entirely sure...but what I can tell you is that work in Unity is pretty universal. I've picked up some level design jobs now remotely. Unity makes it pretty easy to collaborate with other developers!

ProBuilder doesn't have .FBX export at this time but it does fully support .OBJ format! Which of course allows you to open it up in the 3D application of your choosing.

Hope you pick up ProBuilder/ProGrids and share some of your work with the community! We'd be happy to have you onboard.

Regards,

Mike

I've noticed there's a few other tools a long with pro builder that I may want to get. If i buy just pro builder, I'm still going to be missing some vital level editing tools. Is that correct? What exactly do the other tools do?

Short Answer: You aren't missing any functionality by not purchasing other SixBySeven tools.

Explanation:

ProGrids: Adds industry standard grid snapping functionality that Unity is sorely missing. This is actually a must have for ANY Unity project (In my opinion) as it is compatible with any GameObject not just ProBuilder objects. You are in luck though because there is a free version! The free version includes all of the required functionality to get you started with grid snapping goodness. The only caveats to the free version vs the pro version are: You are locked in to a 0.25 meter grid and you don't have the handy dandy 90degree angle indicators. This tool is really great and is definitely worth the money for the pro version even if you aren't going to use ProBuilder.

QuickEdit: Simply allows you to edit the position of vertices in a mesh made in third party modelling software. Quickly being made obsolete to ProBuilder users by the "ProBuilderize" function. It is still a great investment to anyone who doesn't own ProBuilder as it is a GREAT workflow speeder-upper (new word?).

QuickDecals: What it says on the tin. Used to quickly add decals to your level. You can use QuickDecals on any game project it is not reliant upon ProBuilder. While it could potentially speed up your workflow with ProBuilder by adding some flavor to your scenes and removing some monotony of tiled textures, it is by no means a requirement.