ErikH2000

2D animation combined with 3D model.

The idea is to combine a 2D sprite (authored with Esoteric's Spine tool) with 3D backgrounds.  The camera is kept at a constant 45 degree angle so that the 2D animations don't look too sloppy.  Here are a couple of videos showing early tests:

The Unity scene this guy is inside of is a one kilometer-cube space. I'm actually waiting for a Probuilder update to the texture tools before working on texturing. When I get further along, I'll post some more vids of the more interesting locations.

-Erik

Here's another vid showing more ProBuilder construction.

Again, mostly untextured. But to be honest, I'm a fan of the "prototype" texture and am likely to replace it with something similar on many surfaces. Going for a techy look like TRON or the old Marble Madness.

-Erik

Very cool, thanks Erik! Interesting trick, the 45degree angle and 2D sprite :)

Isn't it just. It's like a cartoon character that has escaped into a 3d world.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks! I'm getting more 2D sprites from the animator, and looking forward to seeing them walking around and talking.

Here's a view that shows a wider view of the big underground cave--all ProBuilder-modeled. There is this thing called the "Sun Arch" that supports an artificial light over crops to simulate natural sunlight.

I just keep adding details to the scene when I can. It's very enjoyable, actually. Some people prefer gardening, but I'll take modeling.

-Erik