Koyemsi

Conform object to face normal

Hi.

I've designed an interior with PB. Some of my rooms have oblique walls.

I have several prefabs (paintings, posters, luminaries...) which I want to hang on these walls.

Is there any way when editing to ensure that they conform (and snap) to the surfaces ? In other words, to make sure the adopt the same orientation as the oblique walls, without having to search for the right rotation amount ?

Thanx in advance.

Hi! Sure, you can use Polyshape for this:

image.png

When you click to place the first Polyshape point, it adopts the surface normal.

If you are using ProGrids (recommended), that point also becomes the "origin" point of a local grid for the Polyshape object, so you can keep your new shape built on a nice clean grid :)

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

I've been using PB for about a year, and I have to say I really love this asset. I've also installed ProGrids and PolyBrush yesterday, and just began using them ; they're great too, but I'm not totally accustomed with them.

I didn't know one could draw with Polyshape along a surface, neither did I for the locally oriented grid . These are neat features !

But what about just placing (not drawing) a ready-made prefab ? Sorry if my question seems noobish ;)

Hi! Great to know the tools are helping :) Polybrush is still experimental, so use it with caution, ha. However, ProGrids should quickly become your #1 tool to install in every project! :)

About Polyshape: that "local grid" is only active when editing the Polyshape points. If you start editing it using vertices, edges, etc, it will snap to ProGrids "world" grid- give a test or two and that'll make sense. Just something to be aware of...and something we hope to improve, also, by way of "real" local grids :)

For placing a prefab onto a surface and using the surface normal for rotation- sorry, that's not something Unity does...yet!

Thanx for your replies, dear admins.

ProGrids sure enters my top 5 "by default installed assets" as did ProBuilder. And PolyBrush will also certainly, when in a stable version.
Being able to work with vertices and edges using "real local grids" would be a great enhancement.

I will script something as Karl suggested, but I thought such a feature might be existing in Unity or in PB/PG.
I was hoping even for a weird combination such as Alt+Shift+Command+TripleLeftClic to do a "conform & snap". Well, maybe in a future version... ;)

Thanks again guys.

I assume you're talking about painting with prefabs, like for Terrains ?

I tried this, and it worked in a certain way : I had to reset my clone's rotation on 2 axis, as its up vector was matching the wall's normal, and its y rotation was randomly chosen. But the third rotation value seemed to match perfectly the wall's orientation.

But there's another problem with this technique : the clone generated is no more linked to the original prefab.
So I deleted it, and placed a new prefab with the same rotation values.

Not the easiest way to proceed, but it seems to work accurately enough.