Sign in to follow this  
Sushin

Optimizing an entire town of probuilder objects?

Virtually everything in my scene is a probuilder object and I suspect it's taking a toll on my FPS.

I figure slowly converting every object in the world to "static mesh" would work but I wanted to ask here if there are other ways to optimize a large amount of probuilder objects?

Marking objects static would allow them to be statically batched, which can improve performance.

Having ProBuilder objects in your scene has no more of a performance cost than any other mesh. There are no runtime methods on pb_Object, and in fact, ProBuilder components are actually by default stripped from the scene at build time.

On 4/3/2018 at 8:36 AM, karl said:

Marking objects static would allow them to be statically batched, which can improve performance.

Having ProBuilder objects in your scene has no more of a performance cost than any other mesh. There are no runtime methods on pb_Object, and in fact, ProBuilder components are actually by default stripped from the scene at build time.

That's very interesting. I assumed they were more demanding than static meshes because as far as I know, BSP in Unreal Engine is more costly than static meshes. I guess I'll have to look for other ways to optimize my game.