KyleYoungblom

Vertex snapping doesn't respect axis-constrained movement on rotated shapes

Hi Kyle! That's odd- working fine here. Maybe there's a setting/toggle/incantation missing...is this just happening recently, or has it always been like this for  you? How does it make you feel? :D ha, sorry, honestly I'll try what I can here to get the same result- are you using ProGrids, actually?

Edit: I see now, zero ProGrids in action. Thought it might be snapping on all axis making this happen, but no.

Sorry to ask, but can you try this in a new project with default ProBuilder settings? Also, what version of Unity and ProBuilder? Thanks!

Hi Gabriel, sorry for the delayed response! I tested this out in a clean project and was seeing the same behavior. 

Video attached, first without holding V, then with. Also attached a video of snapping behavior in Maya. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure what the desired behavior would be here. Maya snaps on axes local to the object's rotation, which is decently handy. In any case, seemed like if you're dragging with a constrained axis, whatever it does it should respect that constraint. Thanks!

ProBuilder2-v2.9.7f5

Unity 2017.2.0p4

2018-03-13_19-04-15.mp4

2018-03-13_19-09-36.mp4

Ah, thanks for the video! Got it now:

1. Create 2 pb cubes, slightly offset
2. Rotate one cube
3. Set PB handle coords to "Global"
4. Select a vert on the rotated cube
5. Hold V and click-drag on one axis, hover over a vert on other cube - it aligns on that axis only, in Global coords
6. Set PB handle coords to "Local"
7. Hold V and click-drag on one axis, hover over a vert on other cube - 

Expected behavior: vert aligns to hovered vert on selected axis only, using Local coords (see Max/Maya for example)
Actual Result: vert snaps on all axis to the hovered vert

Technically, the "V" stuff is Unity- Karl has modified it to work per-axis when editing PB elements. So this might be tricky to fix from PB's end? Good news though: full snapping, alignment, and coordinate space stuff is one of our major goals, now that we're part of Unity :)