CaptCanada

creating a roof

Here is a pic of a building I am working on.

I need some tips/advice on how I can create the roof for this building. I initially tried extruding the two top faces of the angled meshes on the Y axis. I then selected the two faces that were created as a result and tried extruding them down the length of the building to meet up with the other opposite wall, but this resulted in parts of the geometry not matching up.

Thanks!

building.jpg

wall.jpg

wall 1.jpg

ceiling.jpg

inside.jpg

Hi CaptCanada- it looks like you dragged down the vertices at the extruded edge, creating that odd geometry? Hard to tell exactly what happened there.

You might also want to try building with a single mesh, instead of the multiple box-shapes you have now. That would give you better performance and better use of ProBuilder's full mesh editing features :)

The tutorial is very helpful, any chance for a video?

As for my building, I've been basically constructing it using PB cubes to make the walls.

To make the peak of the far walls, I followed the tutorial on building a roof, which you answered for me btw!

Once I built the roof on both far walls, I just grabbed the edge that was in the middle and pulled I up on the Y axis. Then, I selected both faces, as seen in the second image. I then extruded them up a bit, shown in third image.

I finally selected the new faces that were created, fourth image, and extrude those to meet the opposite wall.

Your step by step tutorial is using features of PB that I haven't explored, but it seems that these features will make creating a building like this much easier. BTW, for windows and doors up till this point, I've basically just used PB cubes to make the walls, leaving gaps where I wanted my door/window to be then just filling in around where each door/window would be.

Thanks!

Glad it helped- I might add a video in the future, but it'll be at least 2 weeks till I have access to a good mic/sound room, sorry. What parts of the text-and-image tutorial did you feel were lacking? This is just a trial, good to know what I can improve with this method! :)

Building with cubes will work fine for starters, but it really will create performance and visual issues down the road, especially with lightmapping. Hopefully tutorials like the one above can help make the more advanced features of PB easier to use/understand :)

Ahhg, I totally biffed and forgot to finish updating that tutorial, sorry! I'll finish it up today if I can. However, the outer roof is exactly the same as the inner- extrude the edges up, bring them together, fill the gaps and it's done! :)

I had no trouble at all with the new tutorial. Very straight forward and easy to understand. 

I've had PB for about a year now and have only started to use it's these features. It really has helped in my current project as I have up until recently been using PB basic shapes to construct my level. Granted, the buildings I've needed haven't been complex, but I am certainly going to expand my level design now that I have a better understanding of these tools.

BTW, is there a "recommended" wall width when building the house in the tutorial? I.E. Is 1meter too wide?

I assume that there is certainly a minimum width?

Thanks again!

Oops, forgot to reply, sorry!

Any wall width is fine :) I used 1 meter only because that's a nice, clean snap size. So everything was built on a 1 meter grid. Easy to go in and slim things down later :)