evilGremlin2

progrids request

1.) Save multiple scales: enable 3 preset buttons in progrid window and allow me to save a scale on each.  So I can switch from 1.0 to 0.01 without having to type it in manually every time. Or even better, allow me to switch from magnitudes of 10 via a hotkey. 1.0 to 0.1 to 0.01 etc.

2.) Currently each time I want to change the snap scale I have to open the settings box, mouse over the float window, select the float text (numbers whatever), backspace, type in a new scale, mouse over the close button to finish.  If the input box could be automatically selected or if I could at least finalize it and close the window via the enter key that would be nice. If the float box could be automatically selected when I open the window that also be great.

Hi!

1) Preset buttons are a nice idea, if we could make sure they fit in nicely. However, often the up/down ("magnitudes") action is better. You can actually do this by pressing the + and - keys on your keyboard, however it is a double/halve action. I like the idea of making that multiplier user-configurable.

2) Yep, I think there's room to simplify this area, have been thinking on that recently.

Just registered to suggest this, because it would improve working with progrids so much for me, and since it's going in the same direction I'll put it here. Maybe I'll get it soonish..? Should not be hard to implement, maybe as an option?

I really like using the + and - keys, but they have a mayor flaw for me: they scale horrible. I like working on a 1 meter scale most of the time, so scaling down leads to 0.5, 0.25, 0.125, ... this gets ugly really fast imo. Also it's very different from the values when scaling up, which never hit 10, 20, or anything "clean".

My suggestion is this: since this is basically a logarithmic scale, use the common minor ticks for logarithmic diagrams. I always used 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, and so on. They are nearly equidistant on the scale and repeat nicely. Should be pretty easy to implement and I would use it all the time without ever going back.

Hi!

Hmm, the issue is, you actually very much want the "horrible" (:P) scaling that currently exists. That's done very deliberately- why?

By halving the grid with each "-" you ensure everything stays 100% on that grid.
Similarly, doubling with "+" will keep items on the grid (if they started at "common denominator" point)

It also enforces consistent angle offsets of 45 and 90 degrees.

If it helps, you can think of the Grid as the "resolution" of your geometry. It's very different from distance and offset- I think that's what you might have been expecting?

Ok, that makes sense. I always hate how the grid in Visio behaves and now I'm suggesting the same thing i guess. Skipping the 0,2 would kind of work, but I get that this might still be impractical.

I just think in powers of ten, not powers of 2 when constructing something. Might be because I  learned technical cad, but that's a very different purpose obviously. Maybe it really doesn't matter if something is 3 or 3.125 cm wide in unity und I should just try to let it go ;) setting the grid spacing to anything else manually should be prevented too then I guess

I actually kept thinking on this one over the day :) The method you were expecting is totally valid and useful, definitely. It'd just be a very different use/workflow than what Grids are intended for.

Just be glad Unity has "real" units (sort of), ie 1m, 2m, etc... vs other engines it's pure "units" (I think in Hammer a character was 96 units tall or something?) :)