Sign in to follow this  
sweetclimusic

Black scene probuilder window

1) Probuilder
2) Scene view crashes when using probuilder
3) macOS 10.12.1, Unity 5.5.0f3 (personal), Probuilder 2.6.9f3
4) Firstly loading my custom layout failed. I had probuilder docked in bottom panel.  Had to revert to default layout. I have about 7 probuilder objects. If I hit 'Open Probuilder' it will load as a black panel. 

5) It varies in the order to have the black screen appeared. first the probuilder window was set to pop up mode and icon mode. right click the probuilder change to text mode. It updates and displays text, and then I can swap back to icon mode. There were 999+ errors in the console.  Closing probuilder window, scene window goes black.  I can switch my layouts, but the first loaded scene view window stays black i.e. if I go into 4 split mode.

6) I had moved probuilder asset from the root location... Assets/Addons/ProCore/Probuilder. Which maybe the cause as I've delete probuilder and reimported as I noticed the probuilder settings were no longer in preferences. trying to reproduce now.

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 21.17.11.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 21.22.24.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 21.26.50.png

This may be caused by moving the ProCore folder into a sub folder as Probuilder does load some files from a paths in the project.  I'm not sure if these paths must be relative to the project root, but I'm fairly certain they are. Since you have moved it into the Addons folder in your project these path references will fail when Probuilder attempts to load texture assets used for UI rendering. My suggestion would be to move the ProCore folder back into the Assets folder and restart Unity to see if that solves the issue.

ProBuilder is allowed to be moved into sub-folders, and will self-correct it's paths to suit.  However looking at your Console it seems you have a compiler error that is preventing Unity from building it's C# scripts, which is what's causing the waterfall of successive errors (and the failure to load your layout).  Fix that first error (the GameEvent class seems to be misusing the abstract modifier) and I think you'll find things working again.

I've done both since posting. Karl that script wasn't in the scene or in use yet. The fact that probuilder was no longer in tools or preference seemingly not 'installed' would be caused by other script erors? I  Will try and move it back to it's subfolder. However does it mean anytime one of my scripts doesn't compile this will happen if probuilder is in a sub folder? I've never used an editor extension tool in unity before this. Is that the expected behaviour extension don't run until all compile errors or cleared?

Karl that script wasn't in the scene or in use yet.

It doesn't matter if the script is used or not, it's still compiled with all the other scripts in your project.

The fact that probuilder was no longer in tools or preference seemingly not 'installed' would be caused by other script erors?

Yes, that's correct.  If one script fails to compile Unity just gives up on the rest - which means the Editor script that is responsible for opening the ProBuilder toolbar isn't getting compiled.

However does it mean anytime one of my scripts doesn't compile this will happen if probuilder is in a sub folder?

Nope, the sub-folder thing is not a problem.  As long as the contents of the ProCore/ProBuilder folder are untouched there's no reason you can't put it in any other folder you'd like.

I've never used an editor extension tool in unity before this. Is that the expected behaviour extension don't run until all compile errors or cleared?

It depends on how the extension was built.  If all the scripts are compiled to DLL then in some cases the extension will work even if there are compiler errors.  However since ProBuilder exposes the menu loading code it is affected by this problem.  The menu loading code is exposed because we wanted to make it easy for users to change the keyboard shortcuts if desired.  While this is a nice feature, it does have the downside of requiring that your project consistently compile.

I'm seeing this same issue with my install of ProBuilder 2.6.9f3.

If I put ProCore/ProBuilder/... at /Assets/Plugins/ProCore/ProBuilder/... then I get the same empty window and ProBuilder OnGui spam in the console while the ProBuilder window is open.  If I then move it to /Assets/ProCore/ProBuilder/... the ProBuilder window displays correctly and the spam goes away.

This is in a new project that only has ProBuilder, ProGrids, and ProGroups.