Sign in to follow this  
TrickyHandz

Vert Count discrepancy after moving edge

I recently discovered some interesting behavior after exporting a PB Object to an asset file. For a project I am working on I am using PB to create some mesh data and I need that mesh data to have identical number of verts. As a result I am very careful about not doing any collapsing or extrusion on my base object, simply moving existing verts/edges/faces. However, I noted that after creating a cube and inserting an edge loop, if I moved any of the edges of the created loop I would end up with a vert count mismatch in exported assets. This is despite the fact that no assets were exported prior to the creation of the edge loop.  This same behavior can be seen when doing subdivisions and following the same edge editing. Here is a video of a repro case:

Cheers,

Tim

Hey Tim.  This is a result of ProBuilder running optimizations on meshes after editing.  It will automatically search for and collapse vertices that share a position, normal, and texture coordinate.  There isn't any way to disable that currently - however if you're working with the source (available from the user toolbox) you could modify pb_EditorMeshUtility::Optimize() to skip the vertex consolidation step.

Hey Karl. That's really interesting. I would have thought that the optimization pass would have resulted in the mesh having identical vertex counts, rather than the increase after moving the edge.  Does that mean there are stray verts somewhere that aren't being moved with the selected edge?

I sent an email with my invoice # so everything can be verified for User Toolbox access. I'll be sure to dig into the source as soon as I can.