Chuck Savage

Make ProGroups Window Intuitive

As it stands, it isn't intuitive to use.

1. How about a little color bar beside the group, indicating its on / off status, green (on), red (hidden)?
  2. How about a box, or some where on the bar indicating how to toggle the group on / off? I often end up randomly clicking on the bar, I have no idea where I'm supposed to be clicking to activate / deactivate the group. Or if it is a left click vs a right click.
  3. How about a box when the group is expanded to the right of each entry, maybe a minus sign to remove the item from the group.?
  4. The Create New text box doesn't accept the "enter" key, instead you have to click the Create New title text, that isn't intuitive at all. And/or add a Plus box next to the text box to click to add the new group.
  5. Be able to adjust groups contents, drag / drop / rearrange / remove items. I'm aware you can drag an item from the hierarchy to the group, but once within the group, the group can't be adjusted.
  6. If a group is hidden, and an item is added to it, it doesn't get hidden. Instead the group has to be toggled on, then back off. Is this a bug or feature?
  7. How is a group deleted? I've done it by accident, but I can't figure out otherwise. The right click context menu ought to have an option for delete.

I'm using ProGrids v2.3.0, Unity 5.5.1f1

Thanks for the suggestions, I've opened some new tickets to address these ideas.

1. How about a little color bar beside the group, indicating its on / off status, green (on), red (hidden)?

The "eye" icon in the center of the icons indicates this state.  That could be more apparent though, I agree.

1. How about a box when the group is expanded to the right of each entry, maybe a minus sign to remove the item from the group.?

The red "X" button to the left of each item does this.

The Create New text box doesn't accept the "enter" key, instead you have to click the Create New title text, that isn't intuitive at all. And/or add a Plus box next to the text box to click to add the new group.

There is a plus icon there, but yes it definitely should respect the "Enter" key.

Be able to adjust groups contents, drag / drop / rearrange / remove items. I'm aware you can drag an item from the hierarchy to the group, but once within the group, the group can't be adjusted.

Also a good suggestion.

If a group is hidden, and an item is added to it, it doesn't get hidden. Instead the group has to be toggled on, then back off. Is this a bug or feature?

Bug - there's actually a case open to address this already.

How is a group deleted? I've done it by accident, but I can't figure out otherwise. The right click context menu ought to have an option for delete.

Click the "Gear" icon in the top right of the window to edit the group list.

On 2/15/2017 at 8:40 AM, karl said:

Thanks for the suggestions, I've opened some new tickets to address these ideas.

The "eye" icon in the center of the icons indicates this state.  That could be more apparent though, I agree.

There's no eye on mine

The red "X" button to the left of each item does this.

There's no red X on mine

There is a plus icon there, but yes it definitely should respect the "Enter" key.

No plus on mine

Also a good suggestion.

Bug - there's actually a case open to address this already.

Click the "Gear" icon in the top right of the window to edit the group list.

Seems like I have a buggy version in my current project. I don't have any of these "icons" you mention. Attached is an image of it. Maybe in an empty project I can see the icons.

buggy pro groups.png

Hi Chuck,

Karl is out for the weekend, sorry for the wait- looks like your version is not working correctly, here's what it should look like (attached).

Would you mind trying in a new test project?

progroups.jpg

I ran in to the same thing.  I had moved the ProGroups folder to be under the Plugins folder, as I like to localize all external tools to that location.

If you did the same, you can edit this line in ProGroups_Window.cs to reflect your actual install path and the icons will appear after reopening Unity.

// Path to the icons used in the editor.
        string guiPath = "Assets/ProCore/ProGroups/GUI/";

On 2/22/2017 at 10:03 AM, Ryan said:

I ran in to the same thing.  I had moved the ProGroups folder to be under the Plugins folder, as I like to localize all external tools to that location.

If you did the same, you can edit this line in ProGroups_Window.cs to reflect your actual install path and the icons will appear after reopening Unity.

// Path to the icons used in the editor.
        string guiPath = "Assets/ProCore/ProGroups/GUI/";

Ryan,

Thank you. Having "ProCore" in the path name busted it for me. Note to ProCore group, don't use magic strings, but there may be no way to find out where your asset is installed at runtime. Or if you do have magic strings, have them in one location. I've found an ABOUT_ROOT also in groups_AboutWindow.cs also, 

const string ABOUT_ROOT = "Assets/ProCore/ProGroups/About";

I created a new class in the ProGroups scripts folder named Settings.cs, it has this: (Mine is slightly different, because I do have a custom ProGroups folder, and no ProCore folder.

namespace ProGroups
{
    public class Settings
    {
        /// <summary>
        /// The ProGroups installation folder.
        /// </summary>
        public const string GROUPS_ROOT = "Assets/ProCore/ProGroups/";
    }
}

ProGroups_Windows.cs becomes

// Path to the icons used in the editor.
string guiPath = Settings.GROUPS_ROOT + "GUI/";

And since for whatever reason the classes in groups_AboutWindow.cs aren't in the ProGroups namespace, it is written as, 

/* Path to the root folder */
const string ABOUT_ROOT = ProGroups.Settings.GROUPS_ROOT + "About";

Cool, glad you got things working.

Note to ProCore group, don't use magic strings, but there may be no way to find out where your asset is installed at runtime.

Yeah, I think ProGroups is one of the last plugins to still have hardcoded paths.  I've made a ticket to address that.  Most of our other plugins feature a nice path resolution class that will quietly search for the relocated asset root folder and work without requiring the user to modify code.