Sign in to follow this  
GabrielW

Sci-Fi Horror Contest- Cash Prize, and Big Ideas!

Not an "official" announcement just yet, but a sneak-preview and testing some ideas regarding the Big 2.0 Contest.

First, the theme will be Sci-Fi / Horror, with bonus points for HR Giger influence.

Second, the cash prize will be $500 total:

1st Place - $300

2nd Place - $150

3rd Place - $50

...or, $500 top prize, all in!

Timeline: is a month enough? Should we do 2 months? I don't want things to drag out too long.

Entry Rules:

-Textures required (not just a greybox)

-Outside meshes will be allowed, although only for small accessories to the scene (chairs, lights, etc)

-Meshes MUST be created by the map author, or partner, nothing purchased

-Maps that were started prior to the contest will be allowed, author must show proof of start and end

-No teams allowed, must be individual work

What do you all think? Is the prize enough to be worth serious map-building, texturing, and detailing? Any issues with the Rules?

Excited to get this going!

Very awesome! I haven't decided whether or not I will be participating but I can't wait to see the outcome of this contest and all of the awesome things people are going to create!

I would like to ask if this is supposed to be a blend of Sci-Fi and horror or if we can branch out and do modern/medieval horror or straight Sci-Fi.

I'd like to stick to the theme, just to make things easier to judge and consistent in style/form.

What you are telling me is, the prize money is not enough to make you pause other projects, and start something just for the contest? That's a perfectly fine response if so, just checking. Perhaps I need to find a way to up that prize amount.

Thoughts from anyone else? The point of this contest is to gain some AAA quality showcase art for ProBuilder- so whatever is needed to gain serious attention, I'm listening!

Oh gosh no the prize money is really amazing for a contest like this, I just have tons of RL responsibilities at the moment that I can't put aside for a cash prize of any amount (I also am not currently working on any projects to speak of). Since the contest will go on for a month (or two?) though I probably will end up entering something but I can't be guaranteed that my situation will let me.

I'm sorry if my post led you to believe that the prize money wasn't enough, I drooled over it when I saw it!

No worries Matt, like I mentioned, "not enough prize" is a totally legitimate issue for anyone to have :) I've passed up several contests because the winnings weren't enough to justify the upheaval of my work life, lol, despite how much I would have loved to take part in them.

My random thoughts.

Cash is nice, but some other ideas to throw out there for prizes.

Gift Cards: iTunes, Unity Asset Store, (do these exist?), StarBucks

Other sixbysevenstudio unity tools.

1, 2 or 3 month CGCookie Subscriptions

I would vote you stick with a theme however this could backfire a little bit as if the point of the contest is to get high quality examples, you may end up with a dozen examples that are great for SciFi but "only" showcase that. Which may not be what you are going for as it makes the product come across as specialized when it of course is not. Maybe have two top prizes? One focused on the chosen theme and one open ended theme?

May need to put a few more disclaimers in there regarding who owns what content being submitted or that by submitted you allow sixbyseven to use your original work to promote their products? I'm not a lawyer, just don't want to see you get burned by some prick trying to pull one over on you.

Two months is too long, interest will fade and other priorities will get in the way. One month is probably the longest it should be.

Rules are fine, though as all things are with the internet, proving it may be difficult if it came down to a dispute.

I am interested in participating in a contest like this if it is extended or re launched. No point in being only contestant :) And that would be bad if my entry is terrible :) I am not very good at Unity, but might make an entry.

For prize, cash is king, though not only motivation. i think the prize should be somehow related to game development (Unity development might be better term). Asset store prize makes sense, year subscription on a site like GameTextures.com, CGCookie, something like that makes sense to me.

I think one more information would be essential as to this possible contest.

That is : What is the minimum size of the content that should be allowed to participated?

Should participants only do something like a scene which is complete from only one point of view (which could be render in a single screenshot) or should we do something close to a small closed area which can be moved freely around and show a video of moving around it (making it even more horror-sci-fi like)

I know that allowing both would makes it easier to participate, but it would open a bit of a too wide range of possibilities to judge. (Imagine judging a video of a sci-fi detailed scene again a couple of immobile lifeless screenshots while, in the end, both worked as hard to get their results while one didn't thought that he could do a first-person-view of his video.)

As for the reason of the contest : getting some AAA quality content made with ProBuilder, a good thing to add would be for SixBySever to be able to ask a couple more screenshots from the winner(s) as a condition if possible which would allow a better showcase. Especially screenshots of the content made with it directly shown in Unity. Getting real screenshot of in-use part of a program is hard from any plugin or application sellers. Most of the time you would need to make a fictional project to show it in uses.

So, as you need "proofs" to show the content as original, a good thing would be to ask for some screenshots of the making (which include your right to use them with the contest rules). It's killing 2 aliens with one frag. ;) You will be able to use the screenshots as part of the showcase.

Heh, the Geiger bit did have to be relegated to "influence"...since his art is very, very "organic", not exactly ProBuilder's style.

Learning some lessons from this contest- #1 being, as CMaxo stated (sorry, I somehow missed that), I need to hammer out the rules/details much better, beforehand. Launched into this rather too much on-the-fly!