JWhitley

Connect Edges - Object Reference Not Set

9 posts in this topic

Hi!

I have recently bought ProBuilder Advanced and was sort of following along a Youtube video about level design with ProBuilder when I came about this problem.

When I try to connect two Edges I sometimes get "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

It works for some edges but for others it doesn't.

I am using ProBuilder Advanced version 2.6.5f0 and Unity version 5.5.0f2 on Windows7 64 bit.

Screenshots showcasing the situation can be found in this link: http://imgur.com/a/Se5oA

I can also share the project files if it helps. It is only 3MB. (empty project except for probuilder and the object I was building).

Kind regards,

John

Thanks for the image! Doing some tests now to attempt repro.

Can you try something for me? Use "Connect Verts" to clean up the n-gons on the top, and see if it works then.  PB should be able to handle that, not dropping the blame there, ha, but worth checking, and might be a quick bandaid fix for your situation :)

Hmm, I've built pretty much the same shape (other than exact scale), and can't repro. Might have to wait for Karl to chime in with more ideas. Let me know how it goes after connecting those verts?

Hi Gabriel,

I'm not sure how I would go about cleaning up the n-gons.

Should I just connect all verts around the face to the ones next to them one by one? I am pretty new to this, sorry.  :wacko:

Thanks, connecting the left vertices to the vertices on the leftmost wall works

but connecting the right vertices to the right wall doesn't create an edge and paints the object black.

No Rolling Stones were involved in this.  :)

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/AzZR6

Can you try "Tools > ProBuilder > Repair > Remove Degen Tris" ? Sounds like the mesh has some errors. Or, delete the right top face, then select any edge/vert and click "Fill Hole".

Remove Degen Tris didn't affect anything, but on selecting I suppose I stumbled upon the problem:

http://imgur.com/a/8Ex1e (same screenshot twice because I messed up).

Apparently I had a set of edges very close to each other on the first doorway I extruded which made me think it was just on edge and based on that I screwed up the rest of the mesh.  :rolleyes:

Thank you very much for your help. I left a 5 star review on the assetstore. Very happy with this purchase.

Hi John! Awesome, glad you figured it out :) Don't worry, that's a super common mistake, even happens to me sometimes...has me thinking about "highlighters" similar to 3DSMax, where you can turn on special xray views that highlight potential problem areas. 

Thanks very much for the great review!! :)