aaronflippo

Windows 10 runtime support, bugs

4 posts in this topic

1) Name of tool: Pro Builder
2) A brief description of the issue
Windows 10 UWP builds don't support ProBuilder at runtime.

3) Your system environment (Operating system, version of Unity, version of tool)

Window 10, Unity 5.3.6p3, ProBuilder 2.6.5f0

4) Full description of issue
As reported elsewhere on the forum, Probuilder's DLLs don't link on UWP builds. The suggested fix is to disable runtime DLLS.

We may be able to work around this issue since the game doesn't use the runtime features very frequently, and runtime support isn't strictly necessary for our game.

However, the asset store description says ProBuilder is supported on all platforms Unity supports, so this would be nice to have :)

5) List of steps, clearly explaining how to replicate the issue
      (a): Try to make a Windows 10 build with ProBuilder, without disabling the runtime DLLS for WSA

6) Any other comments/etc
In our particular case, we are "accidentally" making use of runtime features, because the vehicles in the game are spawned at runtime out of prefabs stored in the resources folder. It would seem that Probuilder is generating Unity meshes on spawn. I think we can work around this by converting these meshes to non-probuilder meshes if needed. Even better would be if Probuilder could generate meshes for these prefab assets at build time so we didn't have to reconfigure how these things are build. That would probably be worthwhile if it meant less meshes were generated at runtime anyway?

Additionally, I'm seeing a lot of errors like the following on load, even though we have the "strip Probuilder scripts" option turned on:

A script behaviour (probably pb_Object?) has a different serialization layout when loading. (Read 32 bytes but expected 2160 bytes)
Did you #ifdef UNITY_EDITOR a section of your serialized properties in any of your scripts?

Perhaps this is a different bug? Or perhaps the stripping logic is contained in the .dlls that I've had to disable for this platform and thus can't work?

Thanks in advance for the help!

After some work I was able to get a Windows Universal 8.1 project building including ProBuilderCore.dll.  That at least gets you to the point where you don't have to worry about making special prefabs for instantiation to work, and if you want to do some basic runtime editing you're covered.  

Getting the mesh operations library to compile will be a much bigger challenge due to some of its dependencies.  So unfortunately this means you'll still have to mark ProBuilderMeshOps.dll as ignore in Win8.

The update with this fix should be live either tomorrow or early next week - I'll post back as soon as it's ready.

Well that's fantastic news! I didn't expect such a quick response!
I imagine your fixes for Windows Universal 8.1 should apply to Universal apps for Windows 10 as well?

I'll be sure to grab the fixes as soon as they're live and try it out.

Thanks again!