Ocias

Various bugs - Polybrush behaving completely unusably for me!

Hey there, I picked up Polybrush last night and haven't been able to get it to work. Checked the forums here and the troubleshooting guide and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Here are the issues I'm running into, along with some screen recordings:

1. Polybrush is running absolutely unacceptably slowly when used on even a 10000 vert Probuilder plane.

- I have disabled Auto UV2 generation, and switched off auto light building, but it has not helped

- Screen Recording

2. Polybrush keeps stopping functioning almost all the time with no error until I restart Unity.

- I have managed to get it to work once or twice by constantly changing the brush settings and restarting Unity until it somehow started, but then it worked for a little while with poor performance (better on a mesh than a probuilder object though) and failing to rebuild normals until I made a new scene, at which point it stopped working again.

- It seems to randomly choose between having probuilder objects not respond, and regular mesh objects not respond?

- Screen Recording

3. When using a wacom tablet to draw, on anything but the lowest vert-count meshes, the mesh does not update at all until you un-press.

- This is quite a shame as I thought a brushing tool would be big on stylus input

- Screen Recording (also shows normal generation not working despite being enabled)

System Info

-Polybrush 0.9.9b2

-Probuilder 2.6.5f0

-Unity 5.4.0f3

-MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

-OSX 10.11.6

-Wacom driver 6.3.15-3

Thanks for the detailed bug reports.  Just to quickly update you on where I'm at with each of these issues:

1. Polybrush is running absolutely unacceptably slowly when used on even a 10000 vert Probuilder plane.

Improving performance on larger meshes is one of the things keeping Polybrush in beta, and I've been making some good headway on that this week.  I have a similar model Macbook that also exhibits this sluggish behavior, so this will absolutely be fixed before 1.0.

2. Polybrush keeps stopping functioning almost all the time with no error until I restart Unity.

This is a new bug as far as a I know - possibly a regression in the 0.9.9b2 update, or maybe related to the extremely poor performance noted in issue 1.  Does this also happen if you just work with low vertex count meshes?

3. When using a wacom tablet to draw, on anything but the lowest vert-count meshes, the mesh does not update at all until you un-press.

I have yet to test with a tablet, I'll make sure to do that asap.  Same question on 2 though - does it work with low vertex count objects?

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate your patience as I get these problems sorted!

Support,

I am having a similar experience and wanted to contribute to the conversation. I just picked up Polybrush today in hopes to add some caves ad overhangs to some terrains I am using.

I am using Terrain to Mesh to convert some Unity Terrains. These terrains are 2.5KM2 so fairly large, but I have also tried it with a 256KM2 terrain and same thing. The tool becomes unusable and is so slow that you cant really tell it is doing anything.

I also get this error most of the time.

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
System.Collections.Generic.List`1[UnityEngine.Vector3].get_Item (Int32 index) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:633)
Polybrush.z_BrushModeRaiseLower.OnBrushApply (Polybrush.z_BrushTarget target, Polybrush.z_BrushSettings settings) (at Assets/ProCore/Polybrush/Code/Editor/Brush Modes/z_BrushModeRaiseLower.cs:82)
Polybrush.z_Editor.ApplyBrush () (at Assets/ProCore/Polybrush/Code/Editor/Interface/z_Editor.cs:818)
Polybrush.z_Editor.OnSceneGUI (UnityEditor.SceneView sceneView) (at Assets/ProCore/Polybrush/Code/Editor/Interface/z_Editor.cs:570)
UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2046)
UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1381)
UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1218)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

So basically what I had bought the tool to help me accomplish isnt possible in its current state.

Please let me know if you would like me to perform any other tests.

My machine is an i7 with 16Gigs of RAM and NVIDIA Quadro K610M video card so not a under powered machine.

Thanks,

Garry

Thanks for the detailed bug reports.  Just to quickly update you on where I'm at with each of these issues:

Improving performance on larger meshes is one of the things keeping Polybrush in beta, and I've been making some good headway on that this week.  I have a similar model Macbook that also exhibits this sluggish behavior, so this will absolutely be fixed before 1.0.

Ok, good to know. I'd emphasize that it's not just large meshes - probuilder meshes specifically seem to have a gigantic overhead.

This is a new bug as far as a I know - possibly a regression in the 0.9.9b2 update, or maybe related to the extremely poor performance noted in issue 1.  Does this also happen if you just work with low vertex count meshes?

Yep, I just texted it on a 100 vert model plane and have the same issue, Polybrush is completely non-responsive! :(

I have yet to test with a tablet, I'll make sure to do that asap.  Same question on 2 though - does it work with low vertex count objects?

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate your patience as I get these problems sorted!

Yep, just tried it on a 100 vert probuilder plane and the same issue occurs.

However this time when I tried to grab a screen recording of it, the issue stopped occurring, but then immediately started happening again when I disabled the recording - maybe it's affected by having more spare system resources/CPU time or something? Hope this helps!

Update on the performance issue - the upcoming beta (0.9.10) introduces significant improvements.  I'm able to edit a 65,000 vertex mesh with zero lag on a late 2012 Macbook Pro.  Should be out this week!

Having similar problems.  

1) frequently pull/push brush does not work until restart

2) smooth brush never ignores open edges

3) texture painting sometimes ignores fall off and fills poly's similar to how it does with the bucket fill.  Fills the whole triangles under the brush area to the selected material.

4) selecting a flat line fall off in the fall off curve sometimes does not effect the whole mesh, especially mesh poly's on the backside of the object.

I think all of these save the last one are addressed by the update, which is just pending asset store publication. I'll check out the flat response this week.

Awesome!  Thanks!  Polybrush has become a major part of my workflow!!!