FergJoe

Request: Vertex Painting - Substance Support

I love substances, and I love Vertex Painting with Polybrush!  

Is it already in there, and I'm just unaware of the right method - or is this something Polybrush might be able to do in the future?

No worries!  I'm new to polybrush - and substances, for that matter - but I'll do my best to explain!  Substance is a (new?) tech made by Allegorithmic - like an all-in-one, procedurally generated texture system.

Substances are a texture format that contains all of the necessary maps (normal, AO, height, metallic, etc.) to dynamically create a material within Unity, combined into a "SBSAR" file.  The thing I like most about them is the ability to adjust and set parameters - a substance can have a layer of moss growth atop a stone texture, for example - I can adjust the color and intensity of the moss, adjust the heightmap to make the moss stand out, etc.  My material generates, and I can apply it by dragging and dropping it to any surface of game object just as I would any other material.

Polybrush doesn't recognize these dynamically generated textures or materials, so I can't select them in its menus or drag and drop them into its texture painter.

From what I can tell, a lot of schools / studios / devs are settling on Substance as the new standard for textures - I'm pretty new to this, but I can see why...there's some pretty amazing stuff available!  

Oh I see.  There may be a miscommunication in the documentation.  The Texture Painter in Polybrush doesn't accept any materials - it operates on whatever the selected GameObject's material is.

Unless you're referring to the process of creating shader metadata, which in that case I'm still unsure.

So that means - feature request!  I can always export my ProBuilder mesh as an OBJ and work in Substance Painter, but I like the simplicity of having my entire workflow right there in the Unity editor.  

If Polybrush coild somehow handle Substances and Materials in the future, that would be an amazing leap forward - no other asset / extension does this, as far as I know!  

On 10/24/2016 at 10:19 PM, FergJoe said:

So that means - feature request!  I can always export my ProBuilder mesh as an OBJ and work in Substance Painter, but I like the simplicity of having my entire workflow right there in the Unity editor.  

If Polybrush coild somehow handle Substances and Materials in the future, that would be an amazing leap forward - no other asset / extension does this, as far as I know!  

I second this Feature Request. I use Substance Designer and Painter. (latest versions).