Hertzole

How do you use SetFaceMaterial at runtime?

Hi,

I'm playing around with some runtime editing and I am trying to set a material on a specific face but I can't really figure out how. I basically copied the code from the RuntimeEdit script and added a basic way to try and set the material for the selected face.

This is currently my code for doing this.

if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Alpha1))
{
    if (currentSelection.IsValid())
    {
        Debug.Log("Set material");
        currentSelection.pb.SetFaceMaterial(currentSelection.pb.faces, testMaterial);
        RefreshSelectedFacePreview();
    }
}

The most confusing part about the "SetFaceMaterial" function, to me at least, is that it was an array of pb_Face. How am I supposed to set the face I want to apply a material to?

SetFaceMaterial accepts an array of faces to set the material for.  If you just have one your array would just have a length of one, ex:

currentSelection.pb.SetFaceMaterial(new pb_Face[1] { currentSelection.pb.faces[0] }, testMaterial);
currentSelection.pb.ToMesh(); // rebuild the submeshes with new face materials
currentSelection.pb.Refresh(); // rebuild the normals, tangents, uvs, etc. 

SetFaceMaterial accepts an array of faces to set the material for.  If you just have one your array would just have a length of one, ex:

currentSelection.pb.SetFaceMaterial(new pb_Face[1] { currentSelection.pb.faces[0] }, testMaterial);
currentSelection.pb.ToMesh(); // rebuild the submeshes with new face materials
currentSelection.pb.Refresh(); // rebuild the normals, tangents, uvs, etc. 

Ah, I see.

Thanks for the info, but I actually used: 

currentSelection.face.SetMaterial(testMaterial);

Thanks for the extra lines "ToMesh();" and "Refresh();"! That was the thing I was missing when I tried to get SetMaterial to work.