sfbaystudios

ProBuilder / PolyBrush Help (Bug too, probably)

The crazy result happened after....

1) I was facing an issue where an edge wasn't attached (visually it was), so it wasn't being affected by polybrush.

2) I selected the faced on the 90 degree angle, and "merged face".

3) As soon as I touched it with polybrush, that happened, and any number of "undo" doesn't fix it.

2nd image,e the nicer looking one:

The highlighted area is the one in question, where the corner edge isn't connected, so it's not affected by Polybrush.

I realize I could get the effect I want ( a "cave" like dip in the ground) with just polybrush off of a flat surface, but I want the UVs to not be too morphed, so I'm attempting to form a general outline of the room I want to build using Probuilder, and then Polybrush to "cave-ify" it.

• What's the method I should use to connect that edge so its no longer open?

• What is the best method to raise/lower geometry with morphing the UV the least amount?  More fall off?  Less?  Larger brush, smaller?

Thanks!

Andrew

post-672-0-42228800-1467936368_thumb.png

post-672-0-59302800-1467936378_thumb.png

I found "Connect Edges", and that does seem to work ,but it also subdivides the faces.  I think it'll be OK in the end, but is this expected?

Also, is there a way to "merge faces" and also merge the vertices?  I often take a plane, and subdivide it twice, then want to extrude half of it.  When I do this, even after merging faces, there are vertical faces created.  If that makes sense.

post-672-0-96902900-1467937288_thumb.png

Hey I'm currently out of the country on vacation with only my phone, returning Sunday. This post has a few questions I want to address in detail, will post as soon as I return!

1) I was facing an issue where an edge wasn't attached (visually it was), so it wasn't being affected by polybrush.

2) I selected the faced on the 90 degree angle, and "merged face".

3) As soon as I touched it with polybrush, that happened, and any number of "undo" doesn't fix it.

This sounds like a bug - undo should always work.

On the second question, if I understand correctly you'd 

1. Model out your room
2. Subdivide the areas you want to use with Polybrush 
3. Use the "Detach to New Object" action on the subdivided areas
4. Sculpt those detached areas
5. Optionally reconnect the detached faces using "Merge"
6. If necessary use "Weld" at the seams to connect any loose vertices.