Sign in to follow this  
ra1024

Texture Painting

Are there any videos showing the texture painting features?  I would be primarily interested in using this right now for painting and touching up some models.  

I wasn't sure if polybrush was really more for just terrains or if it would do well for model painting.

There's an introduction to texture painting with Polybrush video here: 

Let me know if you have any other questions, or if there are features missing I'd also be interested in those suggestions too!

It's texture painting could probably be related to Unreals model painting. You could easily get away with a wall model for example and moss onto bricks, etc. Though Probuilder Advanced also offers such functionality as well.

Sorry for the delayed response, I was watching for an e-mail to notify me of replies but didn't receive one.  

Thanks for the video, that was helpful.  It looks like the shader might be the limiting thing for me.  I assume this doesn't work with the Unity standard shader. 

What would make this really useful for me is if it could bake the texture out for use in shaders that don't support multiple texture blending.

I don't see needing this for terrain so much as adding detail to models, fixing textures, etc...  Without the ability to bake, I would have limited use for the texture painting.

Thanks,
Reggie

I assume this doesn't work with the Unity standard shader. 

Polybrush includes a Standard shader replacement that supports 12 or 4 textures, depending on if you need bump mapping.  Baking would be super cool, and it's something we've discussed but no concrete plans.

Ok, thanks for the info.  I would think that performance wise you're going to be much better off with baking rather than loading up numerous textures and combining them at runtime.

I'll definitely purchase it when it can bake.

Actually in most situations you'd be better off using a shader to blend them than loading many unique baked textures for different models.  The benefit of baking of is that you would save on texture sampling calls, which could potentially be an issue.  However, the downsides are that you'll have as many extra textures as models to load into memory at runtime, and all those extra textures will bloat the size of your executable.  The size of baked textures will also be much larger than if you were to use a shader, since the baked texture cannot by definition be tiled.

That would be true for terrain but I'm looking to use this for models where there will already be a unique texture for each model.  Think of weapon models, buildings, character models, etc.. It would be great to be able to use this tool for touching up existing textures and creating new character looks.