Sign in to follow this  
sfbaystudios

UV Things...

Hi!  If any of this is currently an option that I just didn't realize... let me know please :D

1.  I'd like to be able to specify the desired "Scale" of the UV map.  For my current project, 1 map = 5 Units in Unity.  It's very difficult to guess the proper size of some non-standard objects.  Walls & blocks are easy, but other things are less easy.  It'd be cool if I could set a desired scale, and then "100%" size would be equal to that scale.

2.  I'd like it if there as a way to "snap" UV areas to the bottom left (or what not) of the map.  I use the bottom left as my standard start-point for seamless things that don't use the entire map (so they can share textures with others and all that).  I find that sometimes, while it's not terribly difficult, manually aligning things in the UV window isn't 100% accurate.  Like, sometimes the UV area is maybe 0.5 pixel units too big, so moving it to the right, for instance, will show it just one pixel over the UV line, but moving it left ends up moving it so it's 1 unit to the LEFT of the line.  idk if it's accurate, or if it's actually where I want it to be...but a snap feature would be nice :D

THANKS!

1.  I'd like to be able to specify the desired "Scale" of the UV map.  For my current project, 1 map = 5 Units in Unity.  It's very difficult to guess the proper size of some non-standard objects.  Walls & blocks are easy, but other things are less easy.  It'd be cool if I could set a desired scale, and then "100%" size would be equal to that scale.

That's something I think you'd handle in your shader.  Namely, setting the "Scale" property on the material should have the effect you're looking for.

2.  I'd like it if there as a way to "snap" UV areas to the bottom left (or what not) of the map.  I use the bottom left as my standard start-point for seamless things that don't use the entire map (so they can share textures with others and all that).  I find that sometimes, while it's not terribly difficult, manually aligning things in the UV window isn't 100% accurate.  Like, sometimes the UV area is maybe 0.5 pixel units too big, so moving it to the right, for instance, will show it just one pixel over the UV line, but moving it left ends up moving it so it's 1 unit to the LEFT of the line.  idk if it's accurate, or if it's actually where I want it to be...but a snap feature would be nice  :D

There's not a built-in action to do this, but it's pretty easy to get it spot on using a few lesser known UV Editor features:

- Using the Left Mouse Button (or Option-Click on Mac) grab the center of the translation handle and hold 'Shift' to snap it to the bottom left UV coordinate of your selection.
- Now that the pivot is set, grab the center of the translation handle (not holding option or right clicking this time) and hold "Control" to move and snap to 0,0.