Protozoaire

Move vertices position with script

To help those who are searching to do the same, below is a C# script to move the vertices of a pb object :

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;
using ProBuilder2.Common;

public class MoveVertex : MonoBehaviour
{
	pb_Object pb; //ProBuilder Object
	pb_Face face; //Object face
	Vector3 VertCoo; //Vertex Coordinates
	int[] indices; //List of vertices in the choosen face

void Start()
	{
		pb = GetComponent<pb_Object>(); //Get the component on the object
		pb_Face face = pb.faces[0]; //Get the choosen face

indices = face.distinctIndices; //Only grab the unique indices - so (0,1,2,1,3,2) becomes (0,1,2,3)

VertCoo = new Vector3(0.5f,0.5f,0); //New coordinates

StartCoroutine(WaitAndChange());
	}

IEnumerator WaitAndChange()
	{
		yield return new WaitForSeconds(2); //After 2 seconds

//We change the vertices' position
		pb.SetSharedVertexPosition(indices[0], VertCoo);
		pb.SetSharedVertexPosition(indices[1], VertCoo);
		pb.SetSharedVertexPosition(indices[2], VertCoo);
		pb.SetSharedVertexPosition(indices[3], VertCoo);
	}
}

To see what it does :

903879BoxToTriangle.gif

I was searching the forums for a way to animate the vertices on a pb object. I wonder if you can help. My object is a bow, If i pull the vertices in the center of the bow string it looks like it is drawn back. Unity animate doesn't detect this movement to use it to animate. So I wanted to animate in script. But my next issue was how do I inform the script which vertices I want to move? using this script if I ignore pb_face and replace with (?) pb_vert  How would I select the vertices I want moving? How do I know what to manipulate via script, there is no documentation on pb types. 

Thanks

While most of the API is accessible, an embarrassingly small amount of it is actually documented.  I run doxygen occasionally so that at least stubs are available; most recently a few weeks ago.

http://parabox.co/probuilder/probuilder-api/html/annotated.html

However I don't think animating a bow draw via script would be the best way to approach it.  I think it would be easier to write a utility that creates blend shapes from mesh snapshots, which you could then plug in to ProBuilder.  I'll try to do a quick proof of concept for that either tomorrow or next week to get you started.

I'm not sure if it would be the best approach either. The mesh snapshot is a good idea.  So was taking this approach first, I've modified this script. But my other idea was to create a 2nd object and weld the verts to that object. Make it transparent or super tiny and use unity animator and move object 2 back and forth. 

When you build your project dont pb objects get stripped to normal meshes? So is that done last so all scripts know what was previously a pb object?

When you build your project dont pb objects get stripped to normal meshes? So is that done last so all scripts know what was previously a pb object?

Yes, though even before that they are still normal meshes.  The stripping process just removes the (usually) redundant pb_Object and pb_Entity components.

I'm not sure what you mean by previously a pb_Object - once in the build there would be no reference to their past lives as ProBuilder objects.