Sign in to follow this  
Rich

Move faces on grid without vertices or edges snapping

Hi,

I did this:

Snapping off, created a cube, inserted an edge loop, then changed into face mode, selected the (now 2) faces on one side, activated snapping and moved the faces. The faces are moved as expected, but the inserted edge (just the one on that side that belongs to the selected faces) is snapped down onto the bottom edge. So if I have edges that are not previously snapped into position I get problems when I decide to activate snap to grid and move a face where that edge belongs to.

Can you seperate the face movement from the edges/vertices position? Just taking all the vertices of the selected faces and offsetting them in the moving direction without snapping them, too?

The reason that's happening is that ProGrid's snap increment is set high enough that there isn't a round point for the inserted edge.  If you descrease the snap increment you should be able to move the face without issue.

On moving a face without snapping the individual vertices, you could hold the 'Ctrl' key while dragging to use Unity's snapping, which will not modify vertices.  As for building this in to ProGrids, it wouldn't be too hard, I'll make a ticket for it.

Great, thanks :-)  I know I could decrease the snap increment (i did that), but that is a real pain constantly switching the value...which kind of negates the advantage of having ProGrids in the first place, for me at least.

ProGrids is great together with ProBuilder btw! Like it :-)

Yes, that's what I wanted, thanks a lot :-) I can work with that.

Of course I tried to break it ^^ And regarding the example I gave in the first post: It all works if I move it in the direction of the face normal. But moving upwards/downwards the edge collapses again onto the lower edge (or upper depending on the edge position).

But that is not a pressing problem for me, I think. Another Checkbox in the Preferences for that would still be awesome.

Edit: When moving in the normal direction all edges get also snapped to the same position on that axis (which of course is expected with that approach). Not a really big deal, but still, a solution would be nice.

I've seen a few reports of this lately, I think the vertex snapping code in ProBuilder is finicky when the "Snap on Selected Axis" function is enabled.  I'm planning to look at it soon.