Rich

Face loop, Tool Tip Delay, Edge Loop Delete, Chamfer,...

Hi,

Probuilder is very good already, thanks for making this tool :-) To really boost my productivity though (coming from 3dsmax) it is important that a few things are there that make a speed difference in my workflow.

Probuilder and Max aren't supposed to be compared, I know. But trying it for a bit I found these issues:

- Tool tip is interfering with clicks and appears instantly instead of after 1-2 seconds. Moving it over another button not always removes the old tooltip and doesn't show a new one (but that could be a Unity problem).

- No face loop? Would be really important for setting smoothing groups, or modeling in general. I know the angle selection option (which is also extremely useful).

- Inserting an edge loop is working great. But removing it? Is my only option to collapse/weld vertices? Inserting loops right now is something you cannot undo easily later on (without a lot of hassle).

- Bridging two faces, or maybe bridging each 4 edges to one another (after deleting the faces) would be great. And maybe 'filling a hole' (3-4 open edges inside a mesh) by just clicking a button (after selecting the edges).

- A fast way to make a window or generally a hole in a mesh. Not necessarily boolean ops (they cause ugly topology) but maybe something like a bridge - just through the mesh - by selecting two existing quads on opposite sides.

- Extruding a face with an angle, e.g. 90 degrees with adjustable steps/subdivisions, basically making a arch from a face in a given direction.

- Chamfering edges...would...be....extremely...awesome :-) This is so big! Making things smooth and round is a basic need. I can't have hard edges, it's 2015. I hope you guys can do this :-)

The whole rounding and adjusting smoothing groups is very tedious in general, in every tool. Probuilder made the handling of UVs and Texturing/Materials so comfortable, it's amazing. If you ease the usual modeling pains then you are nominated for the nobel price of Unity editor extensions ^^

And something a bit more optional:

- A new room primitive with wall/floor/ceiling thickness, optional ceiling, etc. (Thickness because of usual lighting issues). Or maybe even the possibility to make own primitives? I'm alright with a bit of coding in that case.

So then I could make a room (by primitive), and another, connect those by quickly looping the faces of a wall and bridging them.

Would be fast, wouldn't require switching to edge/vertex mode, and all in the philosophy of the tool - just do simple stuff quickly. :-)

Sorry for the wall of text...;-)

Glad you're liking things so far!

- Tool tip is interfering with clicks and appears instantly instead of after 1-2 seconds. Moving it over another button not always removes the old tooltip and doesn't show a new one (but that could be a Unity problem).

Tooltips are a Unity feature, something we don't have control over.  The alternative is to simply not show tooltips.  I do agree that they're a bit overzealous in their popups though.

- No face loop? Would be really important for setting smoothing groups, or modeling in general. I know the angle selection option (which is also extremely useful).

Face loops would be great, I'll make a ticket.

- Inserting an edge loop is working great. But removing it? Is my only option to collapse/weld vertices? Inserting loops right now is something you cannot undo easily later on (without a lot of hassle).

There is a "Merge Faces" action that acts sort of like deleting edges, but internally it keeps the vertices which isn't what you want in this case.  I'd also like the ability to delete edges, but haven't had time to add this in yet.

- Bridging two faces, or maybe bridging each 4 edges to one another (after deleting the faces) would be great. And maybe 'filling a hole' (3-4 open edges inside a mesh) by just clicking a button (after selecting the edges).

Fill Hole should be straightforward, I'll make a ticket.

- A fast way to make a window or generally a hole in a mesh. Not necessarily boolean ops (they cause ugly topology) but maybe something like a bridge - just through the mesh - by selecting two existing quads on opposite sides.

I usually use edge loops and extrude inward to do this.  I do agree that it would be nice to have a built-in method to simplify the process though.

- Extruding a face with an angle, e.g. 90 degrees with adjustable steps/subdivisions, basically making a arch from a face in a given direction.

Gabriel also mentioned wanting a more fine-tuned control for extrusion.  I think there's even a ticket already for it in the issue tracker.

- Chamfering edges...would...be....extremely...awesome :-) This is so big! Making things smooth and round is a basic need. I can't have hard edges, it's 2015. I hope you guys can do this :-)

Totally!  I'm hoping to have this be one of the headlining features for the 2.5 update.

The whole rounding and adjusting smoothing groups is very tedious in general, in every tool. Probuilder made the handling of UVs and Texturing/Materials so comfortable, it's amazing. If you ease the usual modeling pains then you are nominated for the nobel price of Unity editor extensions ^^

Smoothing groups will be getting a reboot in an upcoming update, not sure which one though.

And something a bit more optional:

- A new room primitive with wall/floor/ceiling thickness, optional ceiling, etc. (Thickness because of usual lighting issues). Or maybe even the possibility to make own primitives? I'm alright with a bit of coding in that case.

If you're feeling ambitious you could check out the pb_Shape_Generator and pb_Geometry_Interface classes for guidance on building your own procedural shapes.

Sounds great :-) Thanks for taking the time to answer all the questions.

After another modeling session I realized how important bridging is. If I could just select two different faces (same mesh or submesh) and hit "Bridge" that would be such a time saver.

Right now I need to delete the faces and bridge each edge, and also rotate through the mesh to search for faces/edges I forgot or shouldn't be there. Btw in Max I would use Alt+x to turn on x-ray vision (making the mesh half transparent) so I can see all faces, and it also makes the selections really pop out with a red color. That helps a lot "debugging" your mesh.

I just watched the full tutorial and didn't see it, is there still no remove edge loop function? 

Collapsing faces and such scrambles the UV's. 

Otherwise this probuilder is awsome, for the first time I don't even need to use Maya anymore except for character development. 

Delete edge didn't make it to the 2.5.1 update, but you could target weld the vertices using the "Collapse to First" setting in "Collapse Vertices."  Not quite as nice, but it should have the same effect (or just Merge Faces).