s.darkwell

Snap Edge / Vertex / Surface to Surface

Hello!

One feature that would save me many hours is the ability to snap an edge or a vertex to a surface.

For example:
I've created a table with tapered legs.
I wish to add a support bar between them, flush against both sides.

What I wish to create the rectangle for the support bar with the correct depth and height.
Then, grab the top edge of the support bar's side and snap it to the side surface of the leg,
then repeat the action on the bottom edge of the support bar's side,
thereby conforming that side of the support bar to the slant of the leg.

Unfortunately, the only method of which I am aware (if the legs are already tilted),
is to repeatedly slice both legs until the division is at approximately the correct height
for where I want the support bar to be, detach the edges where the support bar will connect,
invert the normals of the detached surface, bridge all of the support bar's edges to create the bar,
bridge the gaps on the legs to close them up, then piece by piece drag all of the unused leg vertexes and collapse them.

On countless occasions, having a feature to simply drag a vertex, edge, or surface flush to another surface would have saved me an hour or more of work.

I truly hope you will consider this feature! Also, if there is a better approach in the meantime, I would love to know it!

Thank you in advance! Be well!
- S.

If you select a face or vertex and hold the 'V' key while dragging the handle, it snaps to the nearest vertex to the mouse.  Does that work for your uses?

karl, thank you for your reply!

I'm aware of that feature. Unfortunately not. Quite frequently, there are no edges and vertexes at the location to which I am extending the support bar.

Esentially, I'm hoping for ProBuilder to detect that there's an intersect between the edge or vertex I'm moving and a plane, and given that a certain key is held or option is enabled, the movement is clamped to the current side of the intersect.

Here is a visual for the example I'm describing:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70087212

There's no specific vertex at the point where many of the supports would be connecting.

Thank you again!

- S.

Oh, I see what you mean.  That would be a useful feature, and I don't think too difficult to implement.  I'm swamped with preparation for Unite right now, but I've made a ticket to look at this following the conference.

For now, I think you could just extend your bracings into the leg geometry a little bit to hide the seam.  Is that good enough for now?

Oh, I see what you mean.  That would be a useful feature, and I don't think too difficult to implement.  I'm swamped with preparation for Unite right now, but I've made a ticket to look at this following the conference.

For now, I think you could just extend your bracings into the leg geometry a little bit to hide the seam.  Is that good enough for now?

That would be absolutely fantastic!

Another feature that would be useful for similar processes would be the ability to slice one plane along another plane.

So, in my previous example, I could simply extend the edges of the support bar geometry into the leg geometry,

slice parallel to the leg plane, then just delete the detached support bar faces and cap either end of the support bar.

Alas, I'm building these with mathematical precision, so your offered solution doesn't really suffice,

but I absolutely appreciate all of the effort that goes into preparing for events.

I'll gladly hold off on my modeling work until sometime in October!

Thank you so much and be well!

- S.

karl, thank you for your reply!

I'm aware of that feature. Unfortunately not. Quite frequently, there are no edges and vertexes at the location to which I am extending the support bar.

Esentially, I'm hoping for ProBuilder to detect that there's an intersect between the edge or vertex I'm moving and a plane, and given that a certain key is held or option is enabled, the movement is clamped to the current side of the intersect.

Here is a visual for the example I'm describing:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70087212

There's no specific vertex at the point where many of the supports would be connecting.

Thank you again!

- S.

haha Ikea prop. Sorry. I know it gets the point across (and well) but it's just funny to me some one used an ikea image as a reference and that it made everything clear. haha

haha Ikea prop. Sorry. I know it gets the point across (and well) but it's just funny to me some one used an ikea image as a reference and that it made everything clear. haha

XD Why not? They provide the exact metric measurements for all of their furniture, and online assembly guides. They're actually great for an online modeling furniture reference!

XD Why not? They provide the exact metric measurements for all of their furniture, and online assembly guides. They're actually great for an online modeling furniture reference!

haha like I said, just thought it was funny. I mean its Ikea. It gets a lot of flak, but they are good stuff.

Karl, I hope that Unite went fantastically for yourself and the rest of the ProTools team!

I hope that you will have an opportunity to consider the feature request we were discussing last month.

Thank you in advance, and be well!

- S.

Thanks, it was a blast!

Yup, this thread is bookmarked in my "todo" tab.  It won't make the 2.4.8 update, but it should be in by 2.4.9 (or sooner in a beta).

That's great to hear, on all accounts!

I look forward to it. :)

Again, thank you greatly.

- S.

Thanks, it was a blast!

Yup, this thread is bookmarked in my "todo" tab.  It won't make the 2.4.8 update, but it should be in by 2.4.9 (or sooner in a beta).

Karl, any word on whether or not this was able to make it into the 2.4.9 update, and when it can be expected (ish)? I'm excited to continue the modeling aspect of my project.

Thank you so much in advance! Be well!

- S.

It's still slated for 2.4.9, though there isn't a release date planned yet. I'll keep this thread updated and get a beta sent to as soon as one is available.  Sorry I can't give a definitive answer on time-frame, releases depend pretty much entirely on how long features and bugs take to figure out.

It's still slated for 2.4.9, though there isn't a release date planned yet. I'll keep this thread updated and get a beta sent to as soon as one is available.  Sorry I can't give a definitive answer on time-frame, releases depend pretty much entirely on how long features and bugs take to figure out.

Thank you for the prompt response!

I'm glad to hear that it is still planned for the next version.

I completely understand the inability to provide the a timeframe. I only asked in the case you already had a release date planned.

Thank you again for the response, the feature, and ProBuilder itself!

- S.

Karl,

I was excited to see v2.4.9f1 released on the asset store today, but was disappointed to see that the Edge / Vertex / Surface snapping feature was not included. Given your prior response, I was under the impression that it would be included in this version, at the latest (or possibly sooner in a beta).

I've held off working on my prop design for months now and may need to seek other solutions if this feature is far off. Is there any chance this will be released in patch soon?

Also, it seems that the downloads for both ProBuilder and ProGroups in the User Toolbox are not yet updated. I only mention it because I would want to grab the ProBuilder Upgrade Kit before updating my current version.

As always, thank you for your response. Be well!

- S.

Agh, sorry - this completely slipped under the radar.  I'm working on this now, and while it's turning out to be significantly more complex than I initially though it will be in there soon.  I'll update this thread as soon as I get it finished (hopefully next week).

Agh, sorry - this completely slipped under the radar.  I'm working on this now, and while it's turning out to be significantly more complex than I initially though it will be in there soon.  I'll update this thread as soon as I get it finished (hopefully next week).

Karl,

Thank you so much! I'm glad to hear the feature is right around the corner. Please understand my persistence is only proportionate to my desire to use ProBuilder as my core product, not as any lack of appreciation.

I'll keep a close eye on this thread!

Thank you so much, and be well!

- S.

@s.darkwell, I got this integrated yesterday.  I have a few more things I want to add before issuing an update to the Asset Store, so PM me with your information and I'll get you added to the beta group which should see an update soon.

@s.darkwell, I got this integrated yesterday.  I have a few more things I want to add before issuing an update to the Asset Store, so PM me with your information and I'll get you added to the beta group which should see an update soon.

@karl,

Fantastic! Thank you so much. PM-ing you momentarily.

- S.