Sign in to follow this  
jpwilliams

Precise UV editing, or is there a limitation?

Hi! Love the product, and am starting to test some textures in the UV Editor. I'm attempting to group a lot of different meshes textures in the same 2048 sized one, which would mean shrinking down their UV sizes in the UV Editor appropriately. The snag I'm hitting is either with snapping or some kind of limitation with how precise that can be. At this shrunken size I get a lot of issues, here's one that easy to see below, where one of the circles on the back can't be the correct size.

post-1000-0-82376300-1441312257_thumb.png

I'm not certain if this has to do with snapping, or if I'm just being dense when it comes to UV Editing, but I'm wondering if there's a limitation to the sizes that can be worked on in the editor. It seems like the verts I'm moving around in the UV editor are limited to 2048x2048 points, unlike the 3d verts which can be like unlimited decimals.

If anyone could shed some light on that or some best practices it would be great!

Cheers!

post-1000-0-82376300-1441312257_thumb.png

Sorry @jpwilliams, I got sidetracked and completely forgot to do this.  Looking at it now, it's not immediately apparent where in the translation between UV coordinate and pixel that the resolution is lost.  I've made a ticket to really dig into this (which will probably be soon after Unite conference).