Sign in to follow this  
StabbedPanda

Constant Freexing in Unity 4.6.1 and 5

(Why is there no tech support page or FAQ?)

Unity is freezing any time we use any tool, (bridging, extruding, opening UV editor, etc), for a substantial amount of time. Have tried this with Unity 4.6.1 and 5. It's making it pretty hard to anything at all. This is not a low end machine by any means.

Is anyone else having difficulties like this?
Please advise.

How large are your objects?  Generating UV2 channels on objects with more than around 1000 vertices can be time consuming, and by default is done after any modification to the mesh.  Try turning the 'Disable Auto UV2 Generation` checkbox on in the Preferences / ProBuilder tab.

Edit- An FAQ would be a good idea.  Will start putting one of those together this week.

Try turning the 'Disable Auto UV2 Generation` checkbox on in the Preferences / ProBuilder tab.

This had a significant performance improvement on my 1k verts, 2k tris mesh (counts taken from the pro builder stats count in upper-left corner of scene). The refresh time after editing the mesh basically goes from 1-2s down to 0s (it's still a little slow when initially grabbing a vert/edge/surface to edit, however; I presume this is expected). I'm running a < 1 year old powerful desktop gaming rig (Windows).

@karl On a side note, are there any other tricks to increase performance? I've found ~1k verts to be the limit before slowdown impacts workability. Splitting into multiple objects works, but unfortunately it produces a hard edge if both objects were using smoothing groups (I suspect it's because there are now 2 verts in the same position where the split occurred).

The next update is largely focused on performance improvements when working with large meshes.  I'm putting out a beta later this week, so a full release will probably be in the next couple of weeks.  It's a big improvement over the current state in terms of usability with large meshes.