Sign in to follow this  
spooky

Unmerge/Split Faces

Hello, sorry for a second feature request in the same day, I'm back to working on the maps and I just keep remembering all the things issues I've been running into! :P

We can merge faces, but we can't really unmerge them as far as I can tell. Many operations have unintended outcomes on merged faces (connect edges, etc.) It would be great if there was a way to break down a merged face instead of having to reconstruct it; it wouldn't need to revert to the original faces, just split along all edges and triangulate - if you split a regular square face you get its two constituent triangles.

There is a "triangulate object", I bet it would be pretty easy to do that for just faces.  I'll add a ticket for triangulating at a face level.  In the meantime, you can do essentially the same thing (just slower) by connecting vertices.

There is a "triangulate object", I bet it would be pretty easy to do that for just faces.  I'll add a ticket for triangulating at a face level.  In the meantime, you can do essentially the same thing (just slower) by connecting vertices.

Really? When I try to use connect (or any non-translation operation really) on a merged face it usually fails entirely or gives unpredicable/broken results.

Thanks though; I've been wasting a lot of time rebuilding faces that I jumped the gun and merged too early and then needed to change, so it'll be really helpful feature to have.

Any updates on this feature? I'm a new user of ProBuilder and so far it's the main thing throwing me off.

My original skill set is that of a 3D modeler, so my instinct is to keep everything as nice, tidy quads whenever possible. The 'Connect Vertices' trick seems to work, but without a real "Triangulate Selection" function, that workflow becomes pretty awkward.

This never made it in, but I'll make a ticket to get it added in this or the next update.

Oh, that's good to hear. I just hijacked a thread about Triangulate Object asking about this. Sorry!