mangax

New feature.. Smart Geometry!

Hello, :)

okay .. i have an idea that i think will improve the productivity pipeline immensely!

some of us already requested bevel for edges and those stuff that effects geometry, but i noticed that the more details added to geometry the "harder" it will be to get back and start editing these details that already made to geometry!

We already know that probuilder is a tool is made to be help to produce extra-fast results! and i think majority want to maintain this aspect!

so my idea is to implement a main feature called smart geometry or smart detail.. this will literally a "game over" for third party modeling programs..

these details can be added, but they are not effecting main mesh geometry! they are like "mesh effects" that are visible, but not modifiable directly..

for example, if i want to have bevel on edges, i select edge/faces and apply it..

it will bevel but the effect is like fake geometry which is visible but Not selectable, while the effected geometry faces remains the same but becomes semi-transparent and still selectable!

so now it will be more flexible! for example if i extrude the face connected to these edges, or add extra details, these effects will be applied auto- on the new added geometry!

check attached pic

post-664-0-08151100-1427364214_thumb.jpg

if such system implemented, it will be future scaleable, like maybe adding wavy surfaces ,adding any pattern to faces that can repeat around faces just like textures..

people will start sharing these patterns, or maybe to have a template that actually applied to cube (sides, top and bottom patterns) it will be amazing experience..

my goal is to have most maintainable geometry.

This sounds really complicated but I like the idea. One of the main things I hate about creating meshes in programs like 3dsMax is destructive editing for simple things like an edge bevel. It would be neat to see some procedural non-destructive features added to ProBuilder; at least for simple things like bevels, so you can build a chamfered edge or rounded corner without making the actual 'box' of your mesh impossible to change - although getting a bevel tool at all would be great - so, I second this!

it is possible to replicate this idea by modeling modular mesh models of walls, ground surface etc  then start merging things But it is time demanding!

i thought of this idea to have a general more unified solution that bevel and other needs stuff can be derived from this idea all at once.

you guys can check asset like "tileworldcreator" from asset store to fully understand what am thinking.

this tile asset is great but its very limited and boring since everything only can only be placed on one height at a time.

it would be cool to have  the power of probuilder modeling + the ability to extend models in a new way with ease.

This would be awesome to have, but you're right in that it would be tremendously difficult.  One of the first things that comes to mind on thinking how this would work is that we'd likely need to implement our own undo stack and history, which would be an immense undertaking.

Perhaps a lower hanging fruit would be interactive edits - so a bevel tool would be interactive and adjustable until you're happy with the result, then moving on from there it would apply the change and forget about it's state (meaning Undo would just revert to it's previous state).  This seems much more feasible, and as I start working on the bevel tool I'll keep that in mind.

thanks for feedback,

am very interested in implementing any features to juice up mesh details, even if it is un-revertable changes!

you guys keep moving forward and these technical details can be done later