redhawk

Packed Textures with Probuilder

I am not sure how to work with Packed textures and Probuilder.  For instance, if I grab 4 of my textures which are 256 each and make a 1024 texture (plus normal map to match), I find it very difficult to make this flow well across my object.  I can do this easily with single textures/substances because I can easily tile, scale, rotate and so on without having to worry about overlapping textures.  Therefore, I always default to 1 material/texture/substance per.  I'm happying using 1 material per texture, but it would be really nice to understand how to make a packed texture and use it efficiently to allow for a smaller overall project.  I default to Substances to get the results I want right now.

Hopefully this makes sense.

This is a great tutorial.  I ran into trouble when recently completing the "Bridge" art project on the Unity Forums.  As a Bridge is a bit more complex, I'm not sure that this method would work.  Part of the issue is that the scaling and tiling might be off.

Thanks for your kind words.  I wasn't sure exactly what you were looking for, so I opted for doing the simplest approach for something using a pre-existing atlas.

From what I understand (not being an artist), you generally want to create your geometry before you create your textures.  Once the geometry is completed, you can do a full UV Unwrap and build your texture in whatever graphic editor you prefer.  ProBuilder allows you to save your Unwrap as a png file, if I understand correctly, so that is possible to do now...I just haven't messed with it. You can see a bit of how Gabriel did this with in the ProBuilder reel from GDC.  I'm still learning how UV unwrapping works at the moment, but I'll see if I can do a follow up soon.  Unless someone else does a video on that first.

I'd like to once again thank Tim for that great tutorial video! I would have over complicated things, that was a perfect and simple explanation.

Chris, would you like something more detailed as well? I can make a tutorial for that as well.