Luffaren

ProBuilder - mesh cutting

Hello there!

I'm not sure if you've ever worked in Valve's Hammer Editor and whatnot, but i'd like to submit a feature request for something really useful.

A general mesh cutting feature.

I've come across multiple instances where i've wanted to cut out a handful of windows when working in ProBuilder, and it usually ends up with me trying to fiddle around with Geometry methods and messing everything up.

In Hammer Editor there's generally two ways of cutting a mesh:

First method:

Clip.png

This might be kinda hard to do in Unity since you have to draw a line where you want to cut it, and i'm not really sure how one would implement something like that correctly.

What you basically do is:

- Select the "cut" mode.

- Draw a line from point A to point B.

- The line will represent the "cut" where the red part will disappear while the white part will stay (you can toggle the cut sides between "delete A, B or none").

Second method:

Hammer_carving.jpg

This one might be a bit easier to implement, since it uses the collider of an already existing object.

What you basically do is:

- Make mesh A (a wall in this instance).

- Make mesh B (a block representing the size of a window in this instance).

- Put mesh B inside mesh A, just where you want to cut it.

- Press a key combination/button from menu.

- mesh A gets cut just where mesh B is, and you got yourself a nice hole for a window.

One note is that you might want to force the dev to select the object that acts as the "deleter (B)" and the object that acts as the "carve me (A)", since misusing it might end up in cutting loads of things at the same time, probably resulting in a mess that becomes even messier when using CTRL+Z. I remember times when i've misused this feature in Hammer, which caused a huge load of cuts in many different brushes/meshes i didn't want to cut at all.

So a filter/selection of the two objects would probably be the safest, making sure you can't mess up.

Usually to cut a mesh in ProBuilder you would either insert an edge loop and delete faces, or extrude out and rotate the edge loop.   It would be handy to implement a generic 'Cut' tool too - similar to the first method.  I'll make a ticket for that.

Boolean operations (or Carve in Hammer terminology) are already available in the Experimental tab of the ProBuilder menu.  The geometry resulting from boolean operations is extremely messy (just like in Hammer!), so I wouldn't recommend using it for game meshes.

Hello there!

Ah yes, i just discovered the edge loop in the new GUI. It's surely useful, as you can also use ProGrids to get the positioning just right.

And i do concur that carving things in Hammer can really come back to bite you in the end, i usually drag every vertex back and forth to make sure they haven't gone off grid after carving.

Huge thanks for making a ticket on this, i'll be eager to see what you fellas can come up with!

Best regards!

+1 Mesh carving would be amazing. If I could take a mountain, flip it, and cut out a hole in a mesh of the inverse, it would really really help sculpt things so they were more dynamic and less prototype looking.

Slicing would be a bonus (also useful for cutting primitive objects so they are less boxy).

so how is it going with the cutting tool? i still dont see anything on this. Its quite frustrating not to have a simple cut tool (edge to edge) selecting two edges and connecting them doesn't always place the vertices there where i want then i have to fiddle around for them. It's quite hard to make something quick and dirty that doesn't fit into the grid structure.