Sign in to follow this  
WillyWonka

Preserve UV's?

Is there any way to preserve UV's while moving edges or verts?  

I'm trying to create a twisty road with 3D sidewalks.

I've created a simple road by adding loops to a 1x2 plane over and over again and moving them into position.  For my test the road looks like a 90 degree turn going down hill.  I then lined up the UV's how I wanted them and my road texture includes a sidewalk.  Next I wanted to add depth to the sidewalks but I've hit a snag.  I tried inserting a loop but it always centers to the face and that put the edge in the middle of the lane.  Any attempt to move that edge destroys the UV's that I previously setup.

Even destroying the UV's would be fine, if I could select the entire loop and move it along the edges similar to the way that Max/Maya can, but I can't seem to find any option for that either.  What would you guys suggest?  Take the sidewalk into account from the very beginning?

post-633-0-29340900-1424969567_thumb.png

That's a tough one - ProBuilder can't move an split along an edge like Maya can, though that would be very nice to have.

I think in this situation I would extrude the perimeter edges using the button or ctrl-e shortcut (which follows the normal).  I made a quick vid showing this.

In order here's what I did:

1. Select a road crossing edge (in your case you'll select both edges that cross the road)

2. Ring selection

3. Invert selection (now just the edges of the road are selected)

4. Using the extrude amount tool, set it to positive .2 and extrude

5. Using the extrude amount setting, set value to -.2 (negative is important!) and extrude

Ok, that worked, but man there are three frustrating things with this process.

- As far as I can tell you can't control the direction of the extrude other than in/out with +/- numbers.

- UVing it was a pain, but with lots of selecting edge loops and scaling to straighten the lines out, it was possible.

- You can't select an edge loop if it's a mesh edge.  Now that I'm done, I guess I could have done one extra extrude and then deleted it when I was done, live and learn.

Cool, glad it worked for you. 

- As far as I can tell you can't control the direction of the extrude other than in/out with +/- numbers.

Yeah, I think an option to switch between handle and normal relative extrusion directions would be really handy.  I've added a case to make that happen.