Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'newb noob problewms'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • General
    • Introduce Yourself
    • Showcase and WIP
  • ProBuilder
    • General Discussion
    • Bug Reports
    • Feature Requests
    • Extensions
    • Tutorial Requests
    • ProBuilder Contests
    • ProBuilderVR
  • Polybrush
    • Feature Requests
    • General Discussion
  • ProCore Utility Tools
    • ProGrids
    • ProGroups
    • QuickBrush
    • QuickEdit
    • QuickDecals
  • GILES (Generic In-Game Level Editing System)
    • Feature Requests
    • General Discussion

Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


AIM


MSN


Website URL


ICQ


Yahoo


Jabber


Skype


Location


Interests

Found 1 result

  1. JamesStallings

    Greetings from South Texas

    Greetings. Just wanted to drop a quick hello and mention my 'first blush' experiences with probuilder, hopefully I can help some of the other folks who have had some similar troubles. First, my background: It's fairly strong. My first virtual worlds experience was with VRML2.0 and blaxxun, way back in the day. I'm an afficianado of POVRAY, and ran it in parrallel on several computers using a specially modified cluster linux, back in about 2002/2003. I've used the old school quake editor tools to make Quake III levels. I currently use blender to do most modelling I do, which these days is primarily for use with unity. I did the obligatory stint in Second Life (tm), and participated for 6 or 8 years in the testing and operation of a very large ad hoc grid of Second Life compatible regions using the OpenSimulator software on OSgrid. I've since moved on. I've got about 16 months or so experience with Unity by way of this project: http://sine.space. I'm happy enough with everyone and everything to slowly start putting my money where my mouth is, so to speak. My first asset purchase was Gaia, with which I have produced a 'level' or 'room' for sine.space that is 40km on a side, with about 50/50 terrain and water. The terrain is highly populated with grasses and trees. This is my current project, and the project in which I first began to work with first probuilder basic, and subsequently probuilder adavanced. As an aside, those names are a bit misleading; probuilder advanced is more like simply 'probuilder', and probuilder basic is more like a probuilder demo. Anyway, on with the show Probuilder basic was an effective tease. As soon as it was convenient I ponied up for PB advanced. I watched most of the video toots on the youtube and rolled up my sleeves. It did not go well, not at all. Fear not though, there is a happy ending I've got a little cottage construction I've been working on here and there, and I decided I would direct my initial probuilder efforts to that end. I struggled a bit integrating new experiments with existing work, mainly due to fumbling with new interfaces and workflows; I needed to learn some basic editing first, and after I stopped focussing on prior work, I did. That's when things started to get wierd. Subdivisions did not work well beyond a certain point; i'd subdivide an edge, and an adjacent face would turn brown. Ignoring this was done at my peril, pretending it didn't happen and moving on produced progressively more bizarre results; sometimes completely unrelated faces or edges would deform, swap places, or the entire construction might just turn black and become impossible to edit by any means. I really learned a great deal about probuilder during this time, as I thoroughly explored the interface and sought out every imaginable means to try and accomplish the tasks I saw as intermediary to various goals in my work, all of which produced seemingly random and decidedly inconsistent results. In despeartion to get just anything done, I tried to use the experimental CSG boolean tool just to cut a few simple holes through a wall, which was the one thing that behaved consistently about probuilder: it crashed unity to the desktop. every. single. time. Big heaving sighs, hard day at the office, whatever; I took a little nap after several hours of this, and when I woke up one thing kept floating back around to me: many artists and studios are highly successful with this asset; my experience was definitely anomolous. This was supported by what I had read here on the forums and elsewhere. One thing I did notice while I was reading here though, was that some slight few others had had the same results I'd had, and they appeared to be that small percentage of people that had 'unsoluble' problems. It was not heartening. I took a good break (played some dice with some other users on the grid, did my dinner shopping, cooked and ate some dinner, drak a half bottle of chardonnay heh...) during which it occurred to me: the project in which I was doing my probuilder work is pretty huge, and the PC I was using isn't; suppose I was running out of memory? After I finsihed eating and had this epiphany, I came back to my desk and started up unity with a very much smaller project, and began working on the cottage there. I'm happy to report that this pretty much solved the problem completely. I'd go so far to say with surety that this was an OOM issue, and that if others are seeing these sorts of behaviours, they should look to memory availabilty for a solution. I'm really liking what you guys have done here and am looking forward to seeing your tools docked above my inspector for the forseeable future. This really is a 'missing piece' of unity. Do us a favor though, we really need to be able to delete vertices and edges. I bet THAT is something you hear every day hahaha! Cheers, James
×